Thursday, July 21, 2011

Inspiration Surprise

Yesterday I was inspired in a coffee shop bathroom.

Even writing that sounds really odd, but it's true. There I was in a honky tonk bathroom in the North Carolina mountains at the local coffee shop. The day was ordinary, the weather was pretty ordinary, most of all I felt extremely ordinary.

Out of the corner of my eye, I briefly caught a lonely looking picture on the wall. I glanced quickly and was ready to walk out the door. But I didn't. I paused and studied it a bit. It was a rainy day sort of picture that provoked some serious melancholy thinking. The focal point of the painting was a glossy cross -- a hopeful contrast against the sad backdrop. Next to it in writing so tiny you had to strain your eyes to read this:

"You are mine for all time;
Nothing can separate you from my love.
Since I have invested My Very Life in you,
be well assured that I will take care of you.
When your mind goes into neutral
and your thoughts flow freely, you tend to feel anxious and alone.
Your focus becomes problem solving.
To get your mind back into gear, just turn to toward Me.
Bringing yourself and your problems into My Presence.

This made me stop right in my tracks. Words and images so powerful, I had to capture them. Have you ever had one of those moments that just sort of wakes you up? This was mine. What else have I missed because I wasn't paying attention? There is so much more to life if I could shake off my ordinary glasses to see it.

PS. I later learned that the artist is Dawne Raulet, a Southern mom who chucked her 15 years as a stockbroker to follow her dreams with art. She has a great story -- and I almost missed it, along with her beautiful work.

Check her out at http://dawneraulet.com/.

2 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

How cool! We miss so much by not paying attention and looking at things more carefully. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi Butler said...

Girlie, there's nothing ordinary about you! Maybe the day, maybe your feelings, but never YOU!

Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

Wish I was in the mountains with you!!!

Hugs!