Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Nancy Drew & Me

As a kid I loved Nancy Drew. From her super sleuth abilities to how she always trusted her hunch. Every time I see one of those Carolyn Keene books at the library and their lovely 50s-ish covers, I get a warmish delight.

On scalding hot summer days as a kid in the 1970s, I would escape to the shady spot in my bedroom and wrap myself in her stories. Nancy was so smart, she always knew what to do and she could always figure it out. As a ten year old, Nancy was my it. Even when she made mistakes, it always seemed to be part of the plan and eventually led her to the right discovery.

What I wouldn't give to be Nancy Drew. But knowing she is not real and the fact that Carolyn Keene was not even real does give some comfort. The fact that there was an entire stable of writers devoted to creating the tales, coming up with the drama and solving the mystery does give some perspective.

I guess that's a lot about who I am as a person. I want to figure it all out alone but all the while knowing that's not how life gets handled. You can't do it solo -- or if you do it feels sort of empty and hollow. It takes friends, a family, a church community, a dog, a kind act from strangers, something interesting to cross your path to find life's best. You get through stuff with a patchwork of encouragers. And how we are lucky enough to be given these blessings is probably the greatest mystery of all.

1 comment:

Chad K Miller said...

Cara,
Great insight. We are all the sum total of the experiences and people we have been around, mixed in with our choices.

Chad